Patients should receive regular face-to-face review to ensure correct inhaler technique, self-management (where appropriate) and concordance with agreed treatment. Information for patients is available at http://mylungsmylife.org/. Consider referring patients with COPD to pulmonary rehabilitation.
To achieve optimal compliance with inhaled therapy consider the following:
- base the choice of inhaler device on patient acceptability, suitability and cost.
- patients should only be given a device they can demonstrate they can use; many adults struggle to use metered dose inhalers (MDI) therefore dry powder inhalers (DPI) or other breath activated devices should be considered.
- always take appropriate time to teach and check inhaler technique.
- where possible use the same inhaler device if a patient requires a number of different inhaled medicines.
- reduce the number of inhalers by use of appropriate combination products.