- Woman must be medically suitable for medroxyprogesterone acetate as contraception.
- Woman must want to self inject.
- Suitability is assessed on a case by case basis.
- Demonstrate how it works- self administration video:http://www.sayanaanswers.co.uk/guide-to-self-injection
- Discuss keeping medicine and sharps box safe.
- Demonstrate sharps box:
Keeping lid closed, not going above fill line, locking lid when full, can be brought back to clinic or any pharmacy for disposal.
- Supervise self injection.
- Give 3 boxes of Sayana Press, sharps box and written information.
- Advise to return if any concerns.
If she is given a supply and changes her mind she should bring unused Sayana Press back and we will label it with her name for use in the clinic
- Discuss remembering date for next injection:
Highlight manufacturers text reminder service and sayanaanswers.co.uk
- Women will be seen once a year for review / re-supply.
Annual assessment will be as for annual review of any method- update history, BP, BMI, review risk factors and assess ongoing contraceptive requirements and suitability of method.
Check injection technique at review visit.
Patient information can be accessed here