exp date isn't null, but text field is
- There is little evidence to support the use of cough suppressants.
- For persistent cough lasting 4 to 6 weeks establish the underlying cause.
- For the treatment of cough in palliative care, seek specialist advice.
- Many cough preparations contain opiates; their use is discouraged because they are a respiratory depressant and can be particularly dangerous in COPD. The same applies to analgesics containing codeine and other opiates.
- Demulcent cough preparations, such as simple linctus, should not be prescribed.