- essential hypertension: BP less than 140/90 mmHg
- if chronic kidney disease (CKD): BP less than 140/90 mmHg
- if CKD and albuminuria (urine albumin:creatinine ratio greater than 30mg/mmol): BP less than 130/80 mmHg
- if diabetes: BP less than 140/80 mmHg
- if diabetes and eye, cardiovascular or kidney damage including microalbuminuria (2 of 3 morning samples: ACR >2·5mg/mmol for males and >3·5mg/mmol for females) BP less than 130/80 mmHg.Indapamide
If BP is not controlled at each step progress to next step.
Advise all patients on lifestyle measures, eg smoking, physical activity, weight, alcohol, diet (including salt intake).