- Woman must be medically suitable for medroxyprogesterone acetate as contraception.
- Woman must want to self inject.
- Suitability is assessed on a case by case basis.
- Demonstrate how it works- self administration video:http://www.sayanaanswers.co.uk/guide-to-self-injection
- Discuss keeping medicine and sharps box safe.
- Demonstrate sharps box:
Keeping lid closed, not going above fill line, locking lid when full, can be brought back to clinic or any pharmacy for disposal.
- Supervise self injection.
- Give 3 boxes of Sayana Press, sharps box and written information.
- Advise to return if any concerns.
If she is given a supply and changes her mind she should bring unused Sayana Press back and we will label it with her name for use in the clinic
- Discuss remembering date for next injection:
Highlight manufacturers text reminder service and sayanaanswers.co.uk
- Women will be seen once a year for review / re-supply.
Annual assessment will be as for annual review of any method- update history, blood pressure, body mass index (BMI), review risk factors and assess ongoing contraceptive requirements and suitability of method.
Check injection technique at review visit.
Patient information can be accessed here